By Local Unnie
It was mid-July of 2017, where Koreans started to go on a summer vacation, I had no plans of leaving the country since I just had a vacation to Okinawa in June but to overcome this another busy OT (overtime) season I had to book a flight. I decided to travel to Vietnam because I was inspired by the Korean variety show called New Journey to West (신서유기) Season 4. If you haven’t watch this, try it. You will love it!
This time I am not traveling with my usual travel buddies. I am traveling with my sister. This is our first international trip together. My sister just graduated from med school and came back to Korea. I asked her.
“Hayoung, let’s go to Vietnam.” and my sister’s answer was
“No, I am okay. We should save up for the future but if you want to travel go ahead.”
My sister was thinking of my finances because I sponsor her expenses for med school. I begged for about three days to go with me since I know that once we all get busy, we will have less time to travel together. “I just wanted to make some special memories with my sister before she gets busy.”
From Hanoi, Ha Long Bay, Ho Chi Minh, Phan Thiet, Da Nang, to Nha Trang, there are so many places to visit in Vietnam. The Northern part of Vietnam which is about 4.5 hours away from Incheon, Seoul is my next travel destination.
- Flight: Asiana Airlines
- Price: KRW 883,200 (about USD 776.10) for 2 people
- Travel Dates: August 14 ~ 19, 2017
I have set the travel dates as I got a permission from my team leader that I can take the night flight on the 14th. There was no cheap flights since it was holiday again. HAHA What’s new with me? There was no difference between the low cost carrier (LCC) and flag carrier. Furthermore, flag carrier offered better time to travel so I decided to go for Asiana again. When I was a kid, my family used to fly through flag carrier such as Korean Air, Asiana, and Philippine Airlines. I thought that I will be the same as I become an adult. However, the reality wasn’t as I have imagined. I always look for the cheap flights as much as possible since I am the one to finance the trip.
Not Detailed Plans
“If I will go to Vietnam, I want to go to Ha Long Bay. I want to aboard and chill at the cruise. Oh, I also want to buy a Non and wear it while traveling Vietnam! Pretending like the local.”
Ha Long Bay was my main reason for choosing the northen part of Vietnam over other places. I will take more time soon to list down the details of the trip. For now, I only have an outline of each days.
- Departure (Incheon -> Hanoi)
- Check-in at L’ Heritage Hotel
- Travel Hanoi
- Signature Ha Long Cruise
- Ha Long Bay
- Check-in at Hanoi Marvellous Hotel & Spa
- Trang An Tour
- Back to Incheon, Seoul
As a loyal fan of Booking.com, I used Booking.com to book my accommodation in Hanoi and Ha Long Bay.
“Should I spend a lot on my lodging or should I minimize the cost on lodging? ” It has been always a dillemma. After several days of thinking, I have decided. I will spend on the cruise and save in Hanoi.
L’ Heritage Hotel Hanoi
Signature Ha Long Cruise
- L’ Heritage Hotel Hanoi (August 14 ~ 16, 2017): KRW 106,535 (USD 94)
- Signature Ha Long Cruise (August 16 ~ 17, 2017): KRW 434,640 (USD 383.50)
- Hanoi Marvellous Hotel & Spa (August 17 ~ 19, 2017): KRW 153,682 (USD 135.60)
– Total Accommodation Fee: KRW 694,857 (about USD 613 for 2 people)
- Plane ticket: KRW 883,200 (about USD 776)
- Accommodation: 694,857
- Airport <-> Hotel: USD 44 for 4-seated car can be booked through hotel
- Hanoi <-> Ha Long Bay: USD 60~80 for 2 people
- Tran An Tour: VND 669,000 per person (about USD 29.45)
- Personal Expenses for 2 people: KRW 500,000 (about USD 441)
– Total Expected Budget: KRW 2,286,069 (about USD 2,017 for 2 people)
One more month to go before taking the flight to Vietnam. I am so much excited to see the nature of Ha Long Bay.